Mark Gerard Leatherwood

July 23, 1968 - March 2, 2021

Our sweet loving Mark passed away March 2, 2021 in our home in Layton, Utah. Mark married the love of his life and best friend Sarah Perry, on August 4, 2011. They were married for nine wonderful years.

Mark was born on July 23, 1968 to John J. Leatherwood and Mieke Verburg. He was born in Ogden and raised in North Ogden.

Mark attended St. Joseph’s High School and later attended the University of Utah where he graduated with a Bachelors  and then a Masters of Science in Electrical Engineering. 

For the last 19 years Mark was employed at Hill Air Force Base. He started out as an Electrical and Avionics Engineer and was later promoted to Engineer Supervisor.

Some of Mark’s passions in life was building and flying model RC airplanes. He also enjoyed cooking and creating his own recipes and finding new recipes to use. He loved pinball so much he built his own classic pinball machine. Mark loved all aspects of cars. He loved driving RC cars with his step-son Ethan and talking about math with his son Anthony. He loved most of all being married and caring for his wife and boys. Mark loved being with family and always looked forward to family gatherings. 

Anyone who knew Mark knows that he was thought full, kind, loving, compassionate, caring, and respectful.

Mark is survived by his wife Sarah; two sons Ethan and Anthony; mother and step father Andy; one brother James (Joyce); one sister Kim; five nieces; and eight nephews.

Mark is preceded in death by his father John and brother Jonny.

A viewing will be on Thursday, March 11, 2021 from 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm at Starks Funeral Parlor, 3651 South 900 East, Salt Lake City. Please call the funeral parlor at 801-474-9119 between the hours of 10:00 am and 4:00 pm to make a reservation in order to abide by social distancing guidelines. Masks are required. There will be a graveside service for Mark on Friday, March 12, 2021 at 1:00 pm at Washington Heights Memorial Park, 4500 Washington Blvd, Ogden. 

In lieu of flowers donations may be made to Mark's family.



His life slipped away unexpectedly and unintentionally on Tuesday morning the 2nd of March, perhaps due to Bilateral Occipital Neuralgia, but to be determined.

He probably knew more of what the tops of peoples heads looked like than most, so naturally he focused on the sky, planes,and flight. With the help of his computer savvy and student friends he completed a flight simulation program for Sutherland' aviation at the U of U for his masters degree, quite an accomplishment.
His dutch uncles tethered him back to ground level and brother James from NASA soared him to outer space as did science fiction,, his brother Johnny died too young also.

Mark thrived in the cocoon of his family, Sarah and the boys Ethan and Anthony, as well as his work in aviation. To quote from a msg he wrote the night before he died, "I also get to walk Anthony home from elementary school everyday, which is the best thing ever!"
He lives on in the hearts of his family and those who love him.